Portrait Painting in Oil from Reference with Shawn Barber
In this 1 day, 3 Hour Painting Workshop, Shawn will demonstrate and walk you through creating a portrait painting from reference. We will be working with a limited palette, photo reference and painting a still life over a 3 hour period. The first two hours we will focus on drawing, color mixing and laying down a solid foundation. Then we will work back into the paintings and work towards completion.
Shawn will demonstrate process and go back and forth between active assistance and demonstration. This seminar includes discussion and demonstration on palette setup, medium choices, color mixing, constructing a drawing and painting the portrait from reference. Within the seminar, we will elaborate on the power of suggestion and ‘building up’ oil paint to a level of completion.
This course is recommended for the beginner to intermediate level painter, however some experience in painting is encouraged.
Please bring the following equipment
- Glass turpenoid jar with lid
- Portable easel
- Palette (wood, glass or disposable)
- Rags or paper towels
- Small cup for medium
- Assorted brushes like synthetic and bristle, mostly filberts (a couple of small rounds)
- 11”x 14” gessoed panel or canvas (feel free to tone your canvas if you like)
and the following oil paints
preferably Gamblin, Winsor Newton Artist Grade or comparable (not Winton)
- Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Scarlet, Vermillion Red or Cadmium Red Light
- Burnt Sienna
- Maganese Blue Hue, Ultramarine Blue or Cobalt Blue
- Ivory Black
Feel free to bring more colors than this, if you have them.
Supplies that you don’t need to bring or buy
- Painting medium: Galkyd slow dry, liquin or a fast drying medium
- Turpenoid or gamsol
Please enlist at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Price: 150,- €
Workshop will be held in english language